- To provide for the safe and secure detention of the prisoners committed to Judicial custody.
- To provide for reformation and rehabilitation of prisoners.
- To provide basic minimum facilities to the prisoners to maintain human dignity.
To provide minimum standard of living/treatment to the prisoners remanded to judicial custody and at the same time, to reform /rehabilitate them by involving them in various vocational, spiritual, educational, motivational activities so that they become useful citizen of the country after their release.
- The Director General of Prisons and Director, Correctional Services, Odisha is the Head of the Prison Department and he is assisted by Addl. I.G.(Prisons) and Deputy Inspector General of Prisons and other officers in the Prisons Directorate, Odisha. There three Range Deputy Inspector General of Prisons at Cuttack, Berhampur and Sambalpur. Jail Superintendent heads each jails and Jailor, Assistant Jailors, Sub Assistant Jailor, Chief Warder and Warders assist him/her.
- The custodial duties of the prisoners are performed by the Jail Staff where as the external security is provided by the local police.
- A Medical Officer heads the Medical Administration of all Jails, assisted by para-medical staff like Pharmacists and Male Nursing Orderlies( in selected jails).
Office of the Director General of Prisons and Director, Correctional Services, Odisha, Prisons Headquarters, Heads of Department Building, 3rd Floor, Southern Wing, Bhubaneswar-751001.
Working hours in PHQ
- 10.00 a.m. to 5.30 p.m. – On all official working days of Government of Odisha.
Working hours for Mulakat with Prisoners
- Generally 9.00 A.M. to 12.00 Noon and 3.00 P.M. to 5.00 P.M.
- However, the concerned Jail Superintendent has the discretion.
- Safe detention and release of prisoners;
- Wholesome and hygienic food to prisoners;
- Arranging interviews of prisoners with their relatives/friends/ advocates;
- Visitor management system/ Interview using electronic means( selected jails);
- Education, spiritual, vocational and recreational activities for the prisoners in association with reputed NGOs;
- Medical care to prisoners lodged in jails;
- Crèche facilities to the children staying with female prisoners;
- Free Legal Aid to Prisoners;
- Video Conferencing between courts and jails for virtual production of undertrials in trial courts.
- General Public can meet concerned jail Superintendent, DIG(P) and DG(Prisons) in connection with any of their grievances on all working days.
- Visit of official and non-official visitors.( Details in Jail Manual)
- For Right to Information Act, 2005, each Jail Superintendent is Public Information Officer for the concerned Jail and Audit Officer is the Public Information Officer for Prisons Headquarters.
- The 1st Appellant Authority is the Deputy Inspector General of Prisons, HQRS for the Prisons Headquarters.
- All Jailors/ Assistant Jailor/ Sub Assistant Jailor as the case may be, are Assistant PIOs of their respective jails.
- Section Officer is the Assistant PIO for Prison Headquarters.
There is under trial review committee in each District of Odisha, which is headed by District Judge.
- The Committee shall review the cases of under trial prisoners and convicts and other related issues like, legal aid, grievances of prisoners etc.
- Ex-officio visitors .— (1) The following officers and such others as the state Government from time to time, appoint in this behalf shall be Ex-officio Visitor of all jails of State, namely :—
- The Revenue Divisional Commissioner,
- The Director General and Inspector General of Police;
- The Director of Health Services;
- The Director of Industry;
- The Director of Agriculture;
- The Director of Fisheries;
- The Director of Textiles;
- The Director of Adult Education; and
- The Director of Public Health.
- Official Visitors of all jails within their respective jurisdiction:—
- The District and Sessions Judge;
- The District Magistrate;
- The Commissioner of Police;
- The District Superintendent of Police or Deputy Commissioner of Police;
- The Chief Judicial Magistrate;
- The Additional District Magistrate;
- The Sub-Collector;
- The Chief District Medical Officer;
- The Executive Engineer, Roads and Building;
- The Executive Engineer, Public Health;
- The Executive Engineer, General Electricity Department;
- The District Education Officer;
- The District Agriculture Officer;
- The District Health Officer;
- The District Industry Officer;
- The District Fishery Officer,
- The Mayor of Municipal Corporation or Chairman, Municipality or Notified Area Council; and
- The District Probation Officer.
- The Governor or Minister of State may visit any jail or Sub- Jail at any time and under any circumstances, with or without any notice to the jail authorities, the Governor or the Minister shall be received at the jail gate by the Superintendent and he shall be received with due honour and the Governor or the Minister as the case may be taken round inside the jail by the Superintendent, if so desired by the Governor or Minister.
|1||D.G. of Prisons and D.C.S., Odisha.||email@example.com|
|2||Addl. Inspector General of Prisons, Odishafirstname.lastname@example.org|
|3||Dy. I.G. of Prisons(Hqrs)||email@example.com|
|4||Asst. Inspector General of Prisons, Odishafirstname.lastname@example.org|
|5||Chief Probation Officeremail@example.com|